This is a response to this blog post at The Abortioneers. This is a survey that works to clarify your values. I loved this post, and I think the "survey" is a great idea. As Abortioneers said, you can take it to your friends, workplace, etc. I thought it'd be a cool idea to get people to publish blog posts with their responses. Here are my responses:
Do you Agree or Disagree with the following statements:
1. Every woman has the right to choose to terminate a pregnancy regardless of when during the pregnancy.
2. Abortion should be allowed even beyond 24 weeks of pregnancy.
3. Parental consent should be required for any teen under the age of 18 requesting an abortion.
4. Women who have more than 5 abortions are irresponsible.
5. Women who have more than 10 abortions are irresponsible.
6. Women should not use abortion as a form of birth control.
-Disagree. I've never heard of or met a woman that uses abortion as birth control (although antis make it out to seem like all women who have abortions are using it as BC), but it's not my place to tell a woman what she should or should not do. If a woman really wants to use abortion as BC (again, I've never heard of that woman), then that's her right.
7. I think reproductive health advocacy organizations should promote the use of emergency contraception in order to decrease the number of abortions in the US each year.
-Agree. However, it's not about reducing abortions for me. It's about reducing unintended pregnancies.
8. I feel uncomfortable if a woman has an abortion because of the gender of the pregnancy.
-Disagree. I may disagree with her reason for having an abortion, but it's her right. However, I think it's very important to ask how much of a choice the women really have in these situations. In countries that value women so little that female-sex-selective abortions are commonplace, how much is her right to choice respected?
9. Male partners should have the right to be a part of the decision to terminate a pregnancy.
-Disagree, unless he's the one that's pregnant!
10. I think a woman's right to choose to have an abortion is an absolute and inalienable right no matter what.
One more activity to sit with is an open-ended finish the sentence:
1. Abortions are: blessings.
2. Women who have abortions are: normal people.
3. A woman facing an unwanted pregnancy needs to: think through her options and choose what's best for her.
4. In this country, abortion should be: safe, legal, accessible, and free.
5. People working to restrict abortion should: shift their efforts to a good cause.
6. People working on behalf of women's right to choose should: speak up, make some noise!